Career on hold

Talk about your job, study or small business

Career on hold

Postby TMaz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:23 am

I have recently made the decision to stay in my current role and wait until Dean goes to school before I start studying to be a registered nurse.

I was looking at hospital jobs and there was 2 options
1. Go casual
2. Mon- Friday 9-5

Option 1 just isn't do-able coz I need a stable income and set shifts to work out child care
Option 2 is great hours but would mean putting Dean in child care 5 days a week and I DONT want to do that.

So have decided to stick it out at my current place where I have the hours I want but not doing EXACTLY what I want

TMaz
Yep, I'm staying

Custom Rank: crazy not stupid

Re: Career on hold

Postby clags » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:33 am

Is part time study while Dean is little an option Tam or do you need to be in the hospital system first?
clags
Yep, I'm staying

Postby TMaz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:11 am

I can do my RN part time and will take about 4-6 years but still TOO many days ON campus
Once Dean in at school I can do it pretty much full time as long as I do I certain amount of subjects per semeste. I wouldn't do the exact units that I "normal" full time student would do but as long as I do enuf for it to be "considered" full time study. , its a 4 year course but since I'm an EN I get the 1st year as credit and left with 3 years to go. I think I have to do 75% of workload to be considered full time .
I'll see how I go, it may take me longer and I may not cope with full time study and working and mothering and being a good housewife

There are tafe courses that I can do that will get some units ticked off my RN but they take 6 months each and cost more $$ then I can afford right now.
At least with uni I can put most of it on HECS (or whatever around at the time)

TMaz
Yep, I'm staying

Postby emja » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:49 am

Do they offer any intensive stuff over summer etc that you could tick off? Any units you could do purely by distance to get you less you time at the end? Honestly though it won't be long, kids are only little once.
"Having talent and education does not place you above the rest of the world. It makes you responsible for it."
emja
Yep, I'm staying

Postby TMaz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:02 pm

Nothing over summer unfortunately.
And like you said, Dean will be old enuf in no time
Plus by the time he is in school I will also be due for long service leave so won't cost me heaps to take time off. And I'll still have a job to go back to when I have. A Break in study

TMaz
Yep, I'm staying

Postby Linky » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Sounds like you have a plan. It's annoying to want to make a change and have to put it off for logistics though.
Image Image Image
Linky
Yep, I'm staying

Postby T » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Sounds like you've thought things through.
It's great that you've gotten into this profession after all the issues you had when you first got sick. You'll be giving so much back!!
T
I'm liking it here

Custom Rank: Oldie but a goodie

Return to The Daily Grind